So, if you’ve ever wondered what’s on our riders’ menu, take a look at the next recipe in our CCC Team Cookbook series, it’s a perfect northern Italian classic which has one key and almost continuous step… stirring!
by CCC Team chef, Massimo Carolo
Ingredients (to make enough for seven to eight people)
One white onion
640 grams of carnaroli rice
160 grams of butter
160 grams of Grana Padano
half a gram of saffron
Two liters of vegetable broth
One glass of white wine
- Make a simple vegetable broth by bringing two liters of water to the boil with a pinch of salt and a selection of your chosen vegetables. Our chef cooked his for thirty minutes before starting the next step and used a white onion, carrots, leeks.
- Finely chop the onion & mix with a drizzle of olive oil in the pan
- Toast the onions on a high heat until golden brown
- Add the rice into the pan and toast the mixture for another two minutes. Continue to stir the rice and onions as you do this.
- Pour in the glass of white wine and cook until all of the liquid has been cooked off. Keep stirring as you do this.
- Stir in the saffron. You should see an intense color change as you do this.
- Add the vegetable broth one ladle at a time, stirring the mixture after each one.
- After you have used almost half of the broth, stir in the butter until it is thoroughly mixed in and you are left with a creamy consistency.
- At this point, stop and do a taste test. Use your own judgment and decide if you need to add a pinch of salt.
- Add one to two more ladles of vegetable broth. Once again stirring between each one.
- Finish by adding the cheese and stirring it into the risotto until it is completely mixed in.
- Leave to stand for two minutes before serving