So, if you’ve ever wondered what’s on our riders’ menu, take a look at the first recipe in our new CCC Team Cookbook series because even pro-cyclists like a sweet treat after a tough day training or racing.
Homemade Crostata with Ricotta and Dark Chocolate
by CCC Team chef, Mirko Sut
Crostata (Italian tart or pie):
250g plain flour
50g coconut oil
500g ricotta cheese
Two egg whites
50g dark chocolate (70 percent cocoa)
- Preheat your over to 170° celsius (340° fahrenheit)
- Mix the sugar and cold butter (cut it into small pieces) together. If using an electric mixer, keep the blades operating until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture on a work surface, adding the flour, eggs and some vanilla extract before kneading with your hands until you get a smooth and homogeneous dough. Add extra flour as needed.
- Cover your dough and store in the fridge as you move onto the filling.
- In a bowl, add the egg whites, ricotta, chocolate (broken up into small pieces), and grated orange zest together. Mix everything with a spoon.
- Roll out the dough until it is one centimeter thick and then use it to line a tart mold, previously greased with the coconut oil, before adding the filling. You can use any left over dough to decorate the top of your crostata.
- Bake for between 35 to 40 minutes, until the crostata is golden brown.
- Once out of the oven, allow your crostata to cool completely before tasting. Enjoy!